1. Recognizing and honoring our collective humanity is the right thing to do.
2. Maintaining family connections supports health and wellbeing for both children and their incarcerated loved ones.
3. Strong family connections support successful re-entry when loved ones return home.
4. Staying connected with loved ones reduces children’s stress levels.
5. It is a basic human right. “Children have the right to connect with their parent by phone or video.” -Dr. Julia Richerson
6. “The members of the National Council of Jewish Women-Louisville Section through our Court Watch Program have seen first hand the impact on children when they are separated from a parent.” -From the letter of support from National Council of Jewish Women-Louisville
8. Louisville Metro Department of Corrections should not profiteer from phone calls to families.
The Louisville Metro Budget for 2020-21 approved LMDC to collect $633,600 from “Inmate Telephone Fees.” These fees come from the $9.99 LMDC charges for a 15-minute collect call per person inside the jail.
10. Our children are our future.